At Ruellans we take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to administer your account, and to provide products and services you have requested from us. We will never sell your data on to third parties. Under the General Data Protection Regulations, which is law from May 2018, we are required to inform you as to the lawful basis under which we process your personal data.
References to you implies the person whose personal information we collect, use and process. This includes anyone who visits our websites, contacts us in relation with the purchase of a vehicles and/or goods or services we provide, or otherwise interacts with us (e.g. contact enquiry form).
References to our website implies any website owned and operated by or on behalf of Ruellans .
Your personal information will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act
1998 up to the 24th May 2018 and going forward, the EU General Data Protection
Regulations (collectively referenced as the Data Protection Legislation) and other applicable law and regulation.
Who are Ruellans Garage?
Ruellans Garage is an Independent Motor Trader in Jersey for over the last 25 years.
Information we may collect
Information we may collect about you includes your name, date of birth, address, contact details (including email and phone numbers), vehicle details, purchase history and data collected as part of any finance application or payment. This information is referred to as personal information.
Several different methods by which we may collect your personal information include:
• Information collected through forms completed both in our dealerships or on our Website.
• A copy of your driving licence when you test drive one of our vehicles.
• When you enquire or purchase goods/services we collect personal information to respond to your enquiry and process your purchase.
• Information of transactions you have processed with us including services and purchases of vehicles and other goods.
• CCTV footage of yourself on our premises.
• Information contained in and records of communication between us including emails, text messages, letters and recorded phone calls.
• Records of your visits to our Website, including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, IP address and the resources that you access.
• Your marketing preferences
• We also gather information to enable third parties to carry our credit reference checks on you (if you are purchasing a vehicle on finance) and we will have and process information about the result of those checks to complete your purchase.
• We will collect information relevant to the insurance products that we sell that are provided by third parties.
Processing personal information
We use your personal information in relation to our business activities. In particular, we may use your personal information in the following ways:
• To respond to your query regarding the possible purchase of goods or services.
• To carry out our obligations arising from any contract between you and us including the purchase of vehicles and provision of services, and to respond to query from you regarding those such contract.
• To manage and administer the relationship between you and us.
• To obtain feedback from you regarding us.
• To provide you with reminders regarding your vehicle including, for example, when your vehicle is due to have a service or MOT undertaken.
• To provide you with information about vehicles, services, promotions and offers that may be of interest to you.
Our lawful basis for processing personal data
At we may lawfully process your personal data under one of three options:
• Art. 6 (1) (a) Consent: In circumstances where you have provided us with a freely given, informed and specific choice to allow Ruellans to process your data, consent will be the lawful basis under which we process your data.
• Art. 6 (1) (b) Contract: If you have entered or are in the process of entering into a contract with , your personal data may be processed if it is necessary for performance of the contract or is in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract.
• Art. 6 (1) (f) Legitimate interest: If you have completed or negotiated a sale with , you may have your personal data processed for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Ruellans or by a third party, except where such interests are overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms which require protection of personal data. You may also call Ruellans’s or contact our Data Protection Officer who will complete the on line opt-out for you.
Sharing personal data
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in connection with our business activities, including in the following circumstances:
• To third parties that provide services to us such as marketing activities.
• To external organisations for the purposes of detecting and preventing fraud and criminal activities.
• To third party finance companies for the purposes of them providing you with finance. These organisations may carry out credit checks and may disclose your data to credit reference agencies for that purpose.
• To third party providers of insurance products if you take up the option of purchasing one of those products.
• We may pass your personal information to third parties if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply the terms of any agreements we have with or otherwise concerning you or to protect our rights, property or safety or those of our customers, employees or other third parties.
• We may contact you as advised by our suppliers to ensure the ongoing safety and care of your vehicle and any policies are maintained, and the replacement of your vehicle and car care related products.
Under the Data Protection Legislation, you have several rights available to you in respect of your personal information. These are the rights to:
• Request copies of your data.
• Rectification of your data.
• Erasure of your data.
• Object to us or restrict the processing of your data.
• Where our systems allow, give electronic access to copies of your data in a digital format.
Except as required by law, we will not use or disclose your personal information for any purpose for which you have not given us your consent or have requested to no longer be communicated to on a legitimate interest basis. If you object or ask to restrict the processing of your data, you agree that despite this we may continue to use the personal information previously provided to us to the extent that we are contractually obligated to do so and to the extent necessary to enforce any contractual obligations you may have, for example a finance agreement.
To learn more or to exercise any of these rights you can contact our Data Protection Officer whose contact details are provided at the bottom of this page.
We retain your personal information for seven years from the point of purchasing a vehicle from us, or five years from the point of last communication. We take steps to ensure any business we work with has security protocols and policies in place to manage and record your data privacy and preferences correctly and that your data is stored securely. The security of your data is paramount. Documentation can be supplied on request from our Data Protection Officer, details of whom can be found below.
Ruellans reserves the right to update or amend this data privacy notice in line with customer feedback or updates in legislation and it will be published at .
Data Protection Officer
Name: Andrew Ruellan
Address: Tunnell Street, St Helier JE2 4LU
If we are unable to resolve any issues you raise within 30 days you have you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioners Office @ https://oicjersey.org